- Heat oil in a large heavy based pot. Add lamb shanks and cook until well browned on all sides. Transfer to a large plate.
- Add garlic, onion, leek, carrots, celery and parsnip to the pot, and cook on low heat for 5-10 minutes or until softened.
- Return the shanks to the pot and add beef stock, water and barley. Bring to the boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, stirring occasionally, for 2 hours, until shanks are very tender. Add more water as required.
- Remove the shanks from the pot and shred the meat. Return the meat to the pot (discard the bones) and add parsley. Stir to combine.
- Allow to cool. Serve or freeze in airtight containers.
- Once defrosted, reheat soup over low-medium heat.
Tip: Use our homemade beef stock recipe instead of buying from the store.