A savoury-sweet pumpkin taste experience, perfect for morning tea or a healthy snack.
1. Beat margarine, sugar and golden syrup in a bowl with an electric mixer until smooth and creamy.
2. Add egg and beat until combined.
3. Sift flour, ginger, mixed spice and bicarbonate of soda into a bowl, adding any husks left in sieve to the bowl.
4. Mix the sifted flour and ground almonds into the creamed margarine to form a dough. Divide dough in two, wrap each piece in plastic wrap and chill in refrigerator for 1 hour.
5. Preheat oven to 180°C (160°C fan-forced).
6. Roll out one portion of the chilled dough between 2 sheets of baking paper until about 4mm in thickness. Cut into shapes with 7cm star cutter and place on baking paper-lined oven trays. Repeat step with remaining chilled dough portion.
7. Bake in preheated oven for about 10 minutes or until cookies are golden around edges. Stand on trays for a few minutes then transfer to a wire rack to cool. Dust with a little sifted icing sugar, if desired.